Explore Bhutan’s Natural Beauty with a 50% Discount on Sustainable Development Fee
The enchanting kingdom of Bhutan, nestled in the heart of the Himalayas, has long been a destination of choice for travelers seeking unspoiled landscapes, rich cultural experiences, and a commitment to sustainable development. To further encourage tourism and promote the country’s unique offerings, the Royal Government of Bhutan has recently introduced a significant change: a 50% discount on the Sustainable Development Fee (SDF).
The Sustainable Development Fee (SDF) in Bhutan is a fee imposed on tourists to support sustainable tourism and fund environmental, social, and infrastructure projects.
Why the Change?
Bhutan recognizes the vital role played by tourism in its economy and society. Tourism not only generates employment opportunities but also contributes significantly to foreign exchange earnings, fostering overall economic growth. Moreover, the funds collected through the SDF are channeled into crucial environmental, social, and infrastructure projects. This new incentive aims to make Bhutan even more accessible to travelers while continuing to support sustainable development.
The New Incentives:
Starting from September 1, 2023, the revised SDF rates are as follows:
- Adult Tourists (Aged 13 and above): The SDF for US dollar-paying adult tourists will be reduced to US$100 per person per night.
- Children (Aged 6 to 12): Children visiting as US dollar-paying tourists, aged between 6 and 12 years, will enjoy a 50% reduction on the SDF. Their new SDF rate will be US$50 per person per night.
- Children Under Six: Children who have not yet turned six years old are exempt from paying any SDF.
- Border Towns: The 24-hour SDF waiver for tourists staying in border towns remains in effect.
FAQ on the New Sustainable Development Fee
- When does the new SDF become effective?
- The revised SDF of US$100 per person per night will take effect from September 1, 2023.
- How long is the new SDF valid?
- The new SDF rates will remain in effect for a duration of four years, until August 31, 2027.
- What if I have already paid US$200 SDF for an upcoming visit?
- Guests who have already paid the previous SDF rate for their upcoming visit to Bhutan are eligible for a refund of the excess SDF amounts paid.
- When do I pay the SDF?
- You are required to pay the SDF when applying for a visa to enter Bhutan. Rest assured, our partners will efficiently process your visa and handle the SDF payment on your behalf.
- Are the SDF incentives for long stays still valid?
- No, the incentives introduced in June 2023 for long stays have been revoked and are no longer applicable. However, the 24-hour SDF waiver for border towns in Bhutan remains valid.
Explore Bhutan with Customized Trips by Yampu Tours
Discover Bhutan’s Highlights: Our “Highlights of Bhutan” tour takes you on an immersive journey through the country’s most iconic destinations. From the historic Paro Taktsang (Tiger’s Nest) Monastery to the charming capital city of Thimphu and the serene Punakha Valley, this tour showcases the essence of Bhutan’s culture, spirituality, and natural beauty. Explore the itinerary here.
Experience the Complete Bhutan Adventure: For those seeking a deeper exploration, our “Complete Bhutan Experience” tour offers an extended adventure across the kingdom. Uncover hidden gems, meet local communities, and delve into Bhutan’s rich traditions. This comprehensive tour ensures you don’t miss a moment of Bhutan’s magic. Learn more about this extensive itinerary.
Combine Bhutan and India for a Unique Journey: Why stop at just one incredible destination? Yampu Tours also offers the opportunity to combine your Bhutan adventure with the rich cultural tapestry of India. Our “Historical India & Bhutan” tour seamlessly blends the heritage of both countries, allowing you to explore historical landmarks, vibrant markets, and diverse landscapes. Experience the best of two worlds in one extraordinary journey. Discover the possibilities of this dual-country adventure
Exploring Bhutan & Nepal: Discover the spiritual and natural wonders of Bhutan as you immerse yourself in its rich culture, explore ancient monasteries, and soak in the pristine landscapes. But the adventure doesn’t end there. You’ll also venture into Nepal, a land of towering peaks, lush valleys, and vibrant cities. Witness the majesty of Mount Everest, explore the ancient city of Kathmandu, and experience the warmth of Nepali hospitality. Learn more about the “Exploring Bhutan & Nepal” tour.
Extend Your Adventure to Tibet: But wait, there’s more! If you’re looking to enhance your Himalayan journey even further, consider adding Tibet to your Bhutan tour. Our “Discover Lhasa” tour allows you to explore the mystical capital of Tibet, Lhasa. Immerse yourself in Tibetan culture, visit sacred monasteries, and witness the breathtaking landscapes of the Roof of the World. Explore the possibilities of adding Tibet to your Bhutan adventure.
Ready to embark on your Bhutanese adventure with these amazing incentives? Look no further than Yampu Tours, your gateway to discovering Bhutan’s natural beauty, vibrant culture, and sustainable ethos. Book your trip today and experience the magic of Bhutan while enjoying a 50% discount on the SDF.
Private, Personal, Sophisticated.