The plans are set. You’ve covered every detail of the trip down to which top you’re going to wear out for your first dinner in (enter your destination here). There’s nothing left to do at this point but… PACK. That stressful and tedious task will keep you up at night for days leading up to your departure. Well, we are here to tell you to… CALM DOWN! We’ve put together the ULTIMATE Travel Check List for you. Take a look!
Before you leave:
- Ask a neighbor or a family member to watch the house and leave a key with them
- Leave a copy of your trip itinerary and hotel contact information with a family member
- Arrange lodging for pets
- Clean and set refrigerator
- Throw out garbage
- Empty recycle bins
- Have the post office hold mail
- Inform bank in which countries you will be using your credit/debit card/s and length of trip
- Put extra jewelry in a safe deposit box
- Set heat or air conditioning
- Set timers and lights
- Turn off ice maker
- Turn off water heater
- Unplug major appliances
- Water plants
- Call to check/add roaming plan, if you are taking your cell phone
- Get foreign currency( can also be obtained at the airport upon arrival)
Make sure your family has a copy of your travel documents; these documents have very important information, including the phone numbers of our local offices in your chosen destination. Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP), here.
Set up a Skype Account to call home from your cell/laptop at no/low cost
- Credit and ATM cards
- Health insurance card
- Phone numbers (toll-free): primary doctor, bank, credit card company, insurance company
- Travel insurance
- Passport and visa(if applicable)
- Picture ID and driver’s license
- Travel documents
- International calling card
- Prescription refill
Check the expiration date on all documents (expiration date should be at least 6 months after your return date)
Reconfirm your flight details with your airlines 48 hrs. prior to departure
- Alarm clock and inexpensive wristwatch
- Tour books
- Water bottle
- Camera, film, batteries, power adapter, electrical converter
- Cell phone, battery charger, power adapter, electrical converter
- Laptop, batteries, power adaptor, electrical converter
- Money belt
- Sewing kit
- Strong Sunglasses
- Waterproof, lined, rain/wind coat (with removable wool vest).
- Heavy, waterproof coat (for high altitude regions)
- Breathable long sleeves shirt
- Smart dinner attire (pants & shirt; skirt/slacks & blouse)
- Hats, gloves, scarf
- Socks, underwear & t-shirts (lightweight, quick dry). Long underwear (for high altitude regions)
- Quick-dry, zip-off pants
- Walking/Trail shoes or Hiking boots with a sturdy sole for Trekking excursions (if applicable)
- Slip on sandals (i.e. Teva’s)
- Medication, vitamins, antacid and pain relief drugs(i.e. Pepto Bismol and Ibuprofen)
- Insect repellent
- Nail clippers, nail file
- Toothbrush, toothpaste & floss
- Glasses, contact lenses and cleaning supplies
- Moisturizing lotion
- Q-tips / cotton balls
- Razor, shaving cream
- Shampoo & conditioner
- Sunscreen and SPF lip balm
- Band-Aids and Triple antibiotic ointment or Skin disinfectant
- Pack light! The more you pack, the more you’ll have to carry…
- Travel size items for your personal care items are highly recommended.
- Make sure you lock your luggage at all times!
***This Travel Checklist is meant to be used only as a general guideline to help you get ready for your trip.
We recommend you learn about your destination and all activities you will be participating in during your trip to better adapt this list to your needs.
Kon-Tiki Tours & Travel shall not be held liable for any incorrect information or any incidents related to the trip. Please refer to our term and conditions.
Any other specific questions, feel free to contact your Travel Consultant!