Costa Rica Accepting Travelers from Select States
The Costa Rica tourism ministry has eased travel restrictions for Europe and select parts of the United States. US travelers who live in Connecticut, Maine, Maryland, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Vermont, Virginia, and Washington, D.C. can now visit Costa Rica with proof of residence of the allowed states as of September 1st. On September 15th, Colorado, Massachusetts, and Pennsylvania will also be allowed entry.
Other requirements to enter Costa Rica include a negative COVID19 test taken 48 hours prior to arrival. Take a look at the details from the Costa Rica Tourism Board below!
Statement by the Costa Rica Tourism Board
UPDATED August 28th, 2020.
The entry of international travelers has been authorized since August 1 at Costa Rica’s three international airports: Juan Santamaría International Airport, Daniel Oduber Quirós Airport, and Tobías Bolaños Airport.
The authorized regions or countries are reviewed periodically. The list in effect as of August 19 is as follows:
- THE EUROPEAN UNION, SCHENGEN ZONE, AND THE UNITED KINGDOM: for flights from the European Union, the Schengen Zone, and the United Kingdom, for citizens and residents of the European Union, the Schengen Zone, and the United Kingdom.
- CANADA: for flights from Canada for citizens and residents of Canada and for citizens and residents of the European Union, the Schengen Zone, and the United Kingdom.
- SOUTH AMERICA: for flights from Uruguay for citizens and residents of Uruguay.
- ASIA: for flights from Japan, South Korea, Thailand, Singapore, and the People’s Republic of China for citizens and residents of Japan, South Korea, Thailand, Singapore, and the People’s Republic of China.
- OCEANIA: for flights from Australia and New Zealand for citizens and residents of Australia and New Zealand.
- As of September 1: UNITED STATES OF AMERICA (Residents of nine states): Connecticut, Maine, Maryland, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Vermont, Virginia, and Washington, D.C.
As of Sept. 15, 2020: UNITED STATES OF AMERICA (Residents of three states): Colorado, Massachusetts, and Pennsylvania.
Requirements to enter Costa Rica:
- Complete the electronic epidemiological HEALTH PASS form, available at https://salud.go.cr.
- RT-PCR diagnostic test with a negative result; the sample must have been taken within 48 hours of travel to Costa Rica.
- Passengers coming from the United States of America must prove through their driver’s license that they live in one of the six authorized states.
- Traveler’s Medical Insurance – international or purchased in Costa Rica.
For international insurance policies, tourists must request a certification from their insurance company, issued in English or Spanish, verifying at least three conditions:
- Effectiveness of the policy during the visit to Costa Rica.
- Guaranteed coverage of medical expenses in the event of becoming ill with the pandemic COVID-19 disease while in Costa Rica, for at least USD $50,000 (fifty thousand United States Dollars).
- Includes minimum coverage of USD $2,000 for lodging expenses issues due to the pandemic.
Passengers who fail to comply with these requirements may not enter the country.
Upon landing in Costa Rican territory, travelers must wear face protection and comply with the strict protocols of the air terminal with regard to physical distancing, disinfection of carpets, taking temperature readings, and must follow any other sanitary instructions.
Some additional Notes;
- In regards to flights, if you need to fly through a city that is not allowed, it will not affect your entry as long as you do not leave the airport.
- Private Yachts and Private Planes are also allowed. If you are from a state not included there is a special permit you will need to get. Ask your Yampu Tour consultant for more information.
This is exciting news as Costa Rica is easily accessible with short flights from the United States and offers stunning, small nature lodges and outdoor activities that allow for ample social distancing while exploring the country. Yampu travelers will also enjoy extra security with our private transfers.
Subscribe to our newsletter for more up to date information on travel requirements, helpful tips, and news from our Yampu Tour Consultants.